#1085 Ongoing Restoration Pictures

Here you can publish nice photos not tied to any specific subject. Other photos are preferrable published together with the text in the other subforums.
prjacobs

Re: #1085 Ongoing Restoration Pictures

Post by prjacobs »

Thank you!
Still progressing along. We've had poor weather lately so I've kept busy working on interior and small stuff that can be done in the shop.
But the weather today was good for painting and I was ready. Two coats of System Three Silver Tip Epoxy Primer] (water born) applied to decks and cockpit.
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

I usually like to clean up the boat before taking pictures, but on climbing the ladder this morning I couldn't resist a quick shot of a work in progress.
She's coming along nicely :D
Bob McGovern

Post by Bob McGovern »

Arrrrghaargharghh. Here you are, on the home stretch ... while some of us are still cutting holes in the deck for basic structural repairs. :cry: Boat looks fabulous, Peter. Really, really serving for a showpiece both for how a Ballad can shine, and how to bring a boat from the dead without compromise. Huge respect for your approach and results.

Got a question about your rudder post top bearing. Okay, two questions. Did yours always exit where you have it now? Cuz ours is way forward on that little platform, and to port. Like someone didn't align the shaft log properly. It's annoying.

Second, did you machine your own UHMW bushings, or buy them stock? Ours are the original phenolic material.
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

Hi Bob,
Thanks for the compliments. It's been a long haul, but I can finally see light at the end of the tunnel :D
My rudder shaft misses the bearing by a fair bit, but the way I see it the poor boat has sat out of the water on her keel for 7 years so things are bound to be a bit crooked. I'm confident that when she's back in her element, gently cradled by the ocean again, all will be well. If the alignment isn't quite right, well ... it worked fine for over 30 years the way it was so that's the way it'll stay.

I made my own bushings from acetal rod, which is self-lubricating and does not swell in water. Even with the misaligned shaft the rudder turns easily. The original brown bushings were still pretty good, but it seemed wise to replace them while things were apart.

When I installed the traveller I found the bridge deck has a camber, but the traveller track is straight, so the ends of the track were about 5mm above the fiberglass. Again, I suspect some deformation in the hull from being keel-bound for so long. A couple of plastic wedges have temporarily cured the problem, and may need removing after the boat has had some time back in the ocean. I'll take it easy on the old girl for the first while, then we're going to do some serious sailing!
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

I haven't uploaded any new pictures or blogged lately as launch day is almost here and, well, it's been a bit busy! My dodger (spray hood) cover is almost finished and is the last 'major' item to do ... for now. A successful insurance survey was completed last Wednesday.

Bennath will get lifted from her trailer and gently returned to the ocean on August 15th, just after lunch. On hand will be a professional rigger to step the mast and attach the rigging. A few good friends are attending to help us get everything ship-shape for the 32 NM voyage back to our slip at Pedder Bay Marina. If all goes well we'll be taking an extended cruise in early September, taking in a couple of wooden boat festivals, attending the 13th annual Albin Vega Rendezvous, and generally lazing about.
dahlke

Post by dahlke »

wow, you're almost done. I'm really looking forward to your next blog post and especially the pictures ;)

BTW, how many sheets of plywood did you end up using?
Mads
Ballad #332 (aka. Obelix)
Restoration blog
Boat and restoration pictures
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

I used 15 sheets to start with.
5 sheets of 18mm Joubert Occume 1088
5 sheets of 9mm, Aqua-tek, a lower grade for berth bottoms and shelves etc.
5 sheets of 9mm, Joubert Occume 1088, a higher grade to match grain and color of the 18mm sheets.

I think I bought a couple more sheets later on to make up locker lids etc.
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

I just posted my launching pictures at http://www.sintacha.com/
And now I need to rest! :shock:
Bob McGovern

Post by Bob McGovern »

Congratulations, Peter! Bennath looks great, and no one has worked harder -- bringing a good boat from abandonment to concours. (It may be a sad measure of my life & our Ballad progress that I've been hoping all weekend for a report on your launch.;) Somebody must be sailing a Ballad, yes?) And buddy-boating with a Wauquiez is simply unfair: the two prettiest boats in any anchorage, rafted together.

That's the mainsail you found on the boat? If so, it's in pretty good shape. Several years left in that fabric.
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

The sails are in usable shape. I have a nice reefable 110 jib with a high clew which I sailed home with. There're also 150 and 135 Genoas, a storm trisail, and a spinnaker. I'm going to install a furler in the future ... Harken or Furlex, with a slight preference for the Furlex. A full batten loose foot main is also on the wish list, but quite a way down. It's probably good to sail with the old canvas for a while to get used to the boat. I'll also have a better appreciation for the difference new sails will make. We're headed out for a week cruise early next month and I'm sure the "to do" list will be added to then.
Meanwhile it's nice to relax again and work on small unhurried projects.