Video of hullpainting

TamTam

Video of hullpainting

Post by TamTam »

First I want to say hello to you guys.
My Girlfriend and me own the Ballad 1399 "TamTam".
The last years we had a lot of work on TamTam, as you an see on our website.
But now after repair and overhaul nearly everything shes about to be in good shape again.
In autumn last year we decided to paint the Hull and made a short video of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qa624bj8pCM

More informations on our Website http://www.tamtam-sailing.de

Best regards
Nico
Bob McGovern

Re: Video of hullpainting

Post by Bob McGovern »

Hi, Nico. I've been following your blog for a while. You both have done a lot of work on TamTam, and it looks ready for some serious adventures! Thank you for keeping a record of your upgrades, especially the hull painting. We face that chore in a year or so. The old dark blue gel coat on our 1972 Ballad is too far gone to salvage. Is the windvane for local sailing, or do you have offshore journeys in your future?

Bob McGovern
#18(?) Fionn
Wyoming, USA
dahlke

Post by dahlke »

Great video and very interesting pictures on your blog :-)

I too am planning on replacing the old thru hulls and seacocks with composite ones from TruDesign. Are you going to use the flush mounted thru hull fittings (http://www.trudesignplastics.com/produc ... s-recessed) or the ones that are not flush mounted (http://www.trudesignplastics.com/produc ... s-threaded)? I would rater avoid having to grind a tapered edge to fit the flush mounted version but I see a lot of people choosing the flush mounted version.

Looking forward to seeing more videos and pictures of TamTam :-)
Mads
Ballad #332 (aka. Obelix)
Restoration blog
Boat and restoration pictures
TamTam

Post by TamTam »

Hi,
thank you for your kind words.

@Bob: our gelcoat was also in bad condition. We found out, that our Ballad has spend a long time in the Mediterranean Sea and the preowner doesn´t take care of her...so, the sun and salt had enough time to do their work. Are you going to paint your Ballad blue again? It´s my favorite color for a Ballad :-)
We mount the windvane, because we use it nearly everytime when we are sailing, even on short tripps. But in near future, we hope that we can use it also on offshore journeys:-)

@Dahlke: the original thru hulls on our Ballad were flush mounted, but we decided to mount the not flush mounted. They are easier to install and later we found out, that the tapered edge in our hull has not the same angle like the thru hulls from Trudesign.
Yesterday we´ve been working on TamTam, and found some time to try the new thru hulls. The Trudesign parts got a bigger outer diameter than the originals, so we have to grind the holes. It doesn´t took much time and the tapered edge is gone and has a right angle now, so the new thru hulls can be mount with no problem. Actually its to cold to seal them in, but its good to know how they will fit...
I hope that it´s getting warmer soon, because I want to see some pictures from your work on your Ballad :-)
IMG_1871.jpg
IMG_1871.jpg (112.59 KiB) Viewed 20345 times
IMG_1864.jpg
IMG_1864.jpg (133.77 KiB) Viewed 20345 times
Bob McGovern

Post by Bob McGovern »

We love the original blue color, but it is too hot for Mexico and the tropics, where the boat will live. Even here at 41N, the hull becomes an oven in the late afternoon sun; you can hear the boat making 'tick, tick' noises as it cools down after sunset! We are contemplating a really loud chartreuse color, maybe with black or yellow bottom paint, but there is a year more for that urge to fade away.;) My girlfriend likes a boot stripe; I'd rather not mess with it, just raising the antifoul slightly above the waterline, like TamTam.

We'd love a windvane for ocean sailing, but we also want a nice swim ladder for snorkeling. Not sure how to reconcile those on the Ballad. Do you have a good ladder arrangement?

Mads: a trim router with a piloted 45 degree carbide bit (bearing against the mounting base inside the hull) will create a pretty accurate recess for your flush-mounted thru hulls. If you want a really perfect fit, after beveling the hole slightly oversize, wrap the thru hull threads in plastic, wax the head really good, & press fit it into some thickened epoxy. When you pop it back out, you have a matched seat for final installation.:)
TamTam

Post by TamTam »

I love that funky green, in Germany we call it "poison green" :-)
We were thinking about something like that too, but we cant get that color from our favorite brand, so we decided for that normal white.
We kept the original ladder. Now its mounted on the right side, beside the windvane:
It works fine, but in use its only supported on the left side now.
34198_441175549467_7091451_n.jpg
34198_441175549467_7091451_n.jpg (100.25 KiB) Viewed 20328 times
It´s a strong ladder, it won´t bend over :-)