Sedna

Due to increased amount of spamming attempts all registrations now have to be accepted by the board administrator. After filling in the "register" form, mail the administrator admin<at>balladklubben.se and motivate why you want to join.
Clay

Sedna

Post by Clay »

I'm new here and would like to post a link to my blog about rebuilding,living aboard, and sailing a 1978 Albin Ballad (on a budget). So here it is:
www.sailpony.wordpress.com
Bob McGovern

Re: Sedna

Post by Bob McGovern »

Yay! Welcome, Clay. Your rebuild was most impressive, and I am slowly working thru your interesting blog entries. Thanks for both!:) It's been a long, cold winter; hope warmer days have arrived back East and you can shed the foulies. My partner & I are early in a similar refit on our 1972 Ballad Fionn, so any advice you have to offer will be appreciated. Starting with that mast step truss.... :lol:
Bob McGovern

Post by Bob McGovern »

PS: Just noted on your blog you are looking for new sails. Have you had any luck finding some? Far East has a decent reputation for basic coastal sails, and at least they are honest about where they are made. If your plans include the Caribbean, a heavier fabric & extra corner work might be useful -- but you know that.:)

I checked the usual suspects for used mainsails -- Bacon's, Second Wind, Minney's, CastAway's -- but didn't find a good match. The Ballad's boom is so short! A used roller furling genoa should be easier; there are many Catalina 30 #2s out there that might fit okay.

Have you ever built your own sails? Depending on what value you (or an employer;)) place on your time, that can be an excellent place to save money. The Ballad's main is so small & high aspect, it would be simple to construct. In high-aspect Dacron, 6.5-7.3oz, a partial batten main should cost ~$375USD to scratch build. I priced out materials for a 292sqft furling headsail & it came to $600. That's probably not enough savings over an importer to justify the wrestling match. But mainsails, esp. smaller mainsails, offer better DIY margin because there is so much finish work involved.
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

Bob, I'd be interested to know where you source your sail making materials for such a good price.
As I have an industrial sewing machine, I made my own sails for my Albin Vega. I had a local loft supply the materials and do the design. The savings were about 50% over having them do the whole job. Since then the loft has changed owners and the same deal was no longer available for the Ballad's sails.
I priced Sailrite kits and also got prices from a local loft that does all the design work and has the sails made offshore. The ready-made sails were not much more than the kits so that's the way I went, and am really happy with the results.
Bob McGovern

Post by Bob McGovern »

Sailrite, mostly. Cruising Dacron at about $17 a yard; they no longer sell High Aspect/High Modulus, but we used that on our SJ21 main at $19 a yard. Luff tape and similar accessories add up fast.;) I've agree, DIY runs half the lowball importers (like FX or FES) and a third of name lofts like North or UK Halsey. Sailrite kits are no bargain, tending to cost nearly as much as an FX/FES sail, complete.

292 sqft furling #2 genoa, all materials sourced from Sailrite (not the cheapest, but easy & I like the people):
  • 22 yds Performance Cruise 7.4oz Dacron @ $17
    35' luff tape @ $2.20
    18yd 14"w UV Dacron tape (sacrificial) @ $6.90
    Misc hardware, rings, webbing @ $60
Total = $635

Add some for shipping, deduct 10-15% for coupons/sale discounts. We have a huge spool of Dacron thread that should last a lifetime; might use Tenara for white sails on the Ballad (if we build them), and that's not cheap. For design I use SailCut's freeware program, which is really, really good once you get used to its quirks.

Total cost for the SJ21 suite was ~$275 for the main, $220 for the jib, and $130 for the 144sqft nylon drifter. Just a bit more than an FX mainsail with one reef. As sails become larger, more & more of the cost shifts to the cloth -- and then the discount loft/DIY gap shrinks to vanishing. Ballad headsails approach the break-even point.
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

Thanks Bob,
I hadn't priced raw materials at Sailrite. I see some significant savings there. I built two sails using Sailcut Cad years ago for my Montgomery 17: a Genoa and an asymmetric spinnaker. The most laborious part of the job was plotting out the individual panels, but after that they went together quite easily. A few emails to Sailcut's author helped solve some design problems.
I'm thinking about a third sail for the Ballad, a nylon screecher, and may go the DIY route again, but this time I'll build a big table for the plotting work, instead of wearing out my back and knees on the floor!