New table, what to do?

dahlke

New table, what to do?

Post by dahlke »

I'm really not that pleased with the original table. It's too heavy and takes up to much place when not in use. I'm considering mounting the new table using something like the below but I'm very interested in any other solutions. What would you guys do? :)

Mads
Ballad #332 (aka. Obelix)
Restoration blog
Boat and restoration pictures
Bob McGovern

Re: New table, what to do?

Post by Bob McGovern »

It is always hard to fit a table big enough for four people on a small boat. Lots of solutions have been tried. One Ballad has a table on an articulating arm like your photo, but I think it fits in the mast track. Which shoild be not too hard to arrange & would give you height adjustment.:)

Another common solution is a table that hinges to the main bulkhead and drops down, with a leg that swings out to support it. We may try something like that. Or just a flat table (foam composite?) that slides under a settee berth when not in use? Then it can be used in the cockpit, as well.
dahlke

Post by dahlke »

I really like the idea of an articulating arm that somehow fits in the mast track. Thanks, Bob :) I don't suppose you have a link to a photo? ;)
Mads
Restoration blog
Bob McGovern

Post by Bob McGovern »

Not sure this is the Ballad I'm thinking of -- the photo may have been on the old Ballad Exchange site.

Here is a table hinged to the bulkhead with a drop leaf and stowage behind:

And some drop-down tables are either stood off from the bulkhead (by a cleat or storage cabinet) or notched so they can be lowered, then slid sideways around the mast to centerline.

Due to the Ballad's relatively low headroom near the mast, making a bulkhead-mounted table that is both long enough and that offers adequate thigh clearance will be challenging. I am turning ideas over in my head & will probably mock something up before refinishing the bulkheads. Weight is also a consideration, so we may choose a hollow core or foam composite material. Would be kind of neat to have the show side (while stowed upright) made with acrylic mirror....

What we have planned for the saloon bunks is even more strange. :shock: BTW, the composting head (advanced prototype) is working like a charm.:) I think it is a winner.
Sanlen

Post by Sanlen »

We use the "Lagun" setup and have found it very useful. When not in use it can be swung over the salon settee and it can also be mounted in the cockpit (with an extra mounting plate). We have even used it under sail in the cockpit in light conditions :D
Best regards,
Jan
#547 Sanlen
Owner since 1993
Bob McGovern

Post by Bob McGovern »

Jan: I bet it was a photo of your articulating table that is stuck in my memory. I know it was cleverly done.:) Do you have a picture of your table mounting solution you could share?

By coincidence the new Good Old Boat magazine came yesterday, and there is an advertisment for that Lagun table in it. Apparently made by NOA in Sweden. There's a distributor in Florida. Hmmm. That may solve our table question right there. Thanks!

http://svhotwire.com/index.php?route=pr ... duct_id=13
Sanlen

Post by Sanlen »

Bob McGovern wrote:Jan: I bet it was a photo of your articulating table that is stuck in my memory. I know it was cleverly done.:) Do you have a picture of your table mounting solution you could share?

By coincidence the new Good Old Boat magazine came yesterday, and there is an advertisment for that Lagun table in it. Apparently made by NOA in Sweden. There's a distributor in Florida. Hmmm. That may solve our table question right there. Thanks!

http://svhotwire.com/index.php?route=pr ... duct_id=13
I scanned through my old pictures but didn't find a clear shot of the table. From the pictures I took before I started restoring "Sanlen" i found this, where you can see part of the solution. We also have a second mounting plate in the cockpit.

You can also see how we created a double berth in the salon by pulling out a plywood board stored on top of the original, supported by wooden poles. A simple solution that works great 8-)
Attachments
IMGP0354.jpg
IMGP0354.jpg (132.95 KiB) Viewed 39142 times
Best regards,
Jan
#547 Sanlen
Owner since 1993
dahlke

Post by dahlke »

Thanks guys :) I've ordered one of those Lagun tables. It's on it's way to Denmark from Sweden. For some reason they are a lot cheaper in Sweden (Denmark: 1600 DKK vs Sweden: 1050 DKK). I'll post a picture once I get it mounted :)
Mads
Restoration blog
Bob McGovern

Post by Bob McGovern »

Where are you planning to mount the base? Any thoughts?
dahlke

Post by dahlke »

Bob McGovern wrote:Where are you planning to mount the base? Any thoughts?
Right now I'm leaning towards mounting it on the starboard bunk but I'm not sure
Mads
Restoration blog