Window replacement

ibbo

Window replacement

Post by ibbo »

When I was at the Ballad nationals I saw one boat that had been fitted with Technautic windows. They were a bolt through style. I had never been happy with the stainless screws into a track on the original windows, and the seals on mine were about 50% Sikaflex so I contacted Technautic for a quote.
This was acceptable so I took the windows out of one side, and made a template for each window, and put my deposit down. There were options for tint levels, thickness of glass and whether to have bolt through, or a clamping arrangement. I have had waves land quite firmly on the front windows so I went for the bolt through option.
Within 3 weeks the windows were ready.
Windows parcel.jpg
Windows parcel.jpg (174.5 KiB) Viewed 24263 times
I love shiny new things.
Windows 1.jpg
Windows 1.jpg (159.4 KiB) Viewed 24263 times
There is quite a curve in the roof for the front windows, and they were hardest to line up. The screws were 10mm, and I struggled to get them started. I bought 12mm and 15mm ones , and used 12mm along the top, and 15mm along the bottom where It's thicker.
windows 2.jpg
windows 2.jpg (110.41 KiB) Viewed 24263 times
finally I used marine silicone to seal this one.
Windows 3.jpg
Windows 3.jpg (103.71 KiB) Viewed 24263 times
The silicone was hard work, and going off bythe time I could get all the screws in, so I used Butyl rubber for the port side windows. I will keep you posted which works out best.
windows 4.jpg
windows 4.jpg (192.65 KiB) Viewed 24263 times
windows 5.jpg
windows 5.jpg (134.58 KiB) Viewed 24263 times
MarkRyan1981

Re: Window replacement

Post by MarkRyan1981 »

Gosh, they look great - good work! Does the company still have the templates? Could they produce another set?
ibbo

Post by ibbo »

Hi Mark,

Dave at www.technauticmarinewindows.co.uk is checking to make sure they still have them. Probably be an idea to contact him direct.

I 'm well happy with them so far. My crew is disappointed I didn't line the screw heads up.

Mike
patentnick

Post by patentnick »

Hi Mike and Mark:

I'm also looking into windows right now. I got a quote from Ertec in Denmark for a complete set of windows which came to 1,200 euros (incl. VAT).
They have the Ballad templates but their windows are of the clamp type which I also don't like, preferring the through-bolt type.

Mark, if you get in touch with Dave at Technautic, please keep me posted because I'm interested in ordering from them too.

Mike, the windows look beautiful!

Nicholas
Nicholas Koligiannis
Moments of Clarity
Hull No. 334
ibbo

Post by ibbo »

I've not heard any more from Technautic. Their price incl vat was £682.22.

After a few weeks looking at the windows, I'm still quite happy with the quality and value. I may have ordered a shade darker if I did it again, but these are a close match for the originals.

Mike
patentnick

Post by patentnick »

Hi Mike:

Do you remember if your original windows were made by N.C. BJERG? Apparently it makes a difference when ordering.
If you can't, what is your Ballad's hull number/ year of manufacture?

Thanks,
Nicholas
Nicholas Koligiannis
Moments of Clarity
Hull No. 334
ibbo

Post by ibbo »

Yes they were Bjerg ones. I'm hull 45 or 54, can never remember which.

Mike
patentnick

Post by patentnick »

Thanks Mike.

I talked to Dave yesterday and I think I will take the plunge and order the windows.
Just took the boat out of the water this morning (after 3.5 years). The jobs are mounting :)

Nicholas
Nicholas Koligiannis
Moments of Clarity
Hull No. 334