New facias for galley and chart table shelves

patentnick

New facias for galley and chart table shelves

Post by patentnick »

Hi to all:

This is a follow-up to the "Strengthening the Ballad" topic posted in the "Hull and Deck" section. However, since it involves interior joinery in the accommodation area, I thought it'd be better to post it here.

Since glassing in the bulkheads required the removal of the chart table as well as the shelves on both the port and starboard side, I thought it would be a great opportunity to renovate them. The facias covering the shelves had rotted around the edges and, in a few spots, the veneer had started to peel off.

At first, I thought of drying out the wood, sealing it and then painting over it but that would have been false economy. So I used the originals as templates and bought new 10mm marine ply, which I trimmed to size. Instead of pressing on teak veneer or painting the plywood with teak-tinted varnish (which is what I've done with the port half-bulkhead support--see photo), I gave the bare wood two coats of wood primer and four coats of DULUX exterior grade paint, which is exactly what I had done when building the dinette several years ago. This brightens the interior considerably, is easier to maintain and Dulux's Salisbury Stones No3 perfectly matches the original interior gelcoat. I also removed the old teak trim, sanded it down to bare wood and gave it 5 coats of Epifanes Rapidclear varnish.

While at it, I renewed the electrics on both sides, and installed two charging plugs (cigarette lighter plus twin USBs) outboard of the chart table. On the galley side, I decided to change the layout slightly, by making a dedicated tray for dishes and salad bowls, a smaller compartment for cutlery and another for tins, spices, etc. As you can see from the photos, the galley side facia was made in two pieces because a single one would have been impossible to fit due to the additional height of the fridge (I had to break off the original facia to get it out).

All in all, I'm very happy with the result, particularly with the colour combination of light beige and varnished teak. It works wonders in the confined space of a small boat. And, more importantly, everything can be taken apart very easily (in case, for example one needs to gain access to the genoa track bolts).

Nicholas
Attachments
The horizontal line that separates the two pieces is less of an eyesore than I thought it'd be, but I will probably cover it with a strip of teak or mahogany.
The horizontal line that separates the two pieces is less of an eyesore than I thought it'd be, but I will probably cover it with a strip of teak or mahogany.
PB242021 19.53.18.jpg (144.1 KiB) Viewed 16801 times
PB242023 19.53.18.jpg
PB242023 19.53.18.jpg (140.02 KiB) Viewed 16801 times
This support made a huge difference to the solidity of the port half-bulkhead. Now, it is as solid as the main bulkhead. It is made of 18mm marine ply varnished with teak-tinted varnish and bonded to both the floor and the bulkhead with epoxy thickened with high density West System filler.
This support made a huge difference to the solidity of the port half-bulkhead. Now, it is as solid as the main bulkhead. It is made of 18mm marine ply varnished with teak-tinted varnish and bonded to both the floor and the bulkhead with epoxy thickened with high density West System filler.
PB242028 19.53.18.jpg (182.79 KiB) Viewed 16801 times
PB242024 19.53.18.jpg
PB242024 19.53.18.jpg (145.72 KiB) Viewed 16801 times
The chart table surface was also painted with Dulux exterior grade paint, while the teak trim was sanded down and varnished. Any scratches or dents to the table surface can simply be filled with acrylic filler and painted over. Both filler and paint dry very quickly.
The chart table surface was also painted with Dulux exterior grade paint, while the teak trim was sanded down and varnished. Any scratches or dents to the table surface can simply be filled with acrylic filler and painted over. Both filler and paint dry very quickly.
PB242025 19.53.18.jpg (147.11 KiB) Viewed 16801 times
Last edited by patentnick on Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicholas Koligiannis
Moments of Clarity
Hull No. 334
ibbo

Re: New facias for galley and chart table shelves

Post by ibbo »

Nice job there, looks very tidy. I like the way that you squeezed the radio in the gap too. Maybe I should move mine there. It's currently behind the seat.
You have an mppt controller, what have you got in the way of panels, and where are they fitted?

Mike
MarkRyan1981

Post by MarkRyan1981 »

Very tidy job!
patentnick

Post by patentnick »

Thanks for your kind words guys.

I need the encouragement because the boat is currently a mess due to a fit-out :)
(I'll post some photos soon).

Mike, I have BEP panels with circuit breakers, installed under the companionway.
Between the panels, I've mounted a Nasa amp/volt battery monitor--a great instrument.
These are older photos but the particular set-up hasn't changed.

N.
Attachments
P1010990 (1).jpg
P1010990 (1).jpg (84.05 KiB) Viewed 16687 times
After.jpg
After.jpg (81.3 KiB) Viewed 16687 times
Nicholas Koligiannis
Moments of Clarity
Hull No. 334