Throttle lever out of the way.

Nicholas Koligiannis

Throttle lever out of the way.

Post by Nicholas Koligiannis »

Hi to all:

The following is something that has been recently implemented by my friend Mats Wik who has been living aboard Taifun (Ballad #911) for the last eight years. Currently in Greece, Mats has embarked on a number of major projects on his boat. I often joke with him that his Ballad must be the most un-original Ballad in existence but this is an improvement that made sense. His fiberglassing skills are beyond reproach and he even managed to order a two-part polyurethane acrylic paint that matched his gelcoat exactly (or as close as one could possibly get). More importantly, the throttle lever will never be kicked again by accident. The photos should be self-explanatory but let me know if you have any questions or comments.

Nicholas
Moments of Clarity, Ballad #334
Attachments
P4050749.JPG
P4050749.JPG (97.22 KiB) Viewed 14033 times
P4050750.JPG
P4050750.JPG (84.12 KiB) Viewed 14033 times
P4050751.JPG
P4050751.JPG (120.46 KiB) Viewed 14033 times
prjacobs

Re: Throttle lever out of the way.

Post by prjacobs »

Nicholas,
Thanks for sharing that. As a new Ballad owner (I'm new, not the Ballad :D ) I'm discovering some things that need changing and the throttle lever is one of them. This is a very elegant solution. Do you have any more pictures of some of Mats' other modifications? I'd be interested to see his ideas after living aboard for so long.
Nicholas Koligiannis

Re: Throttle lever out of the way.

Post by Nicholas Koligiannis »

Hi Peter:

One of the biggest changes both Mats and I have made to the original design is to convert the starboard side saloon berth into a dinette. The old Ballad Exchange has posts in the Accommodation section ("Dinette on Taifun" and "Dinette on Moments of Clarity") with photos. If you can't see the photos (I can't) let me now and I'll repost everything. Also, Mats has constructed a transom extension and, while doing so, has also moved the entire rudder aft and has turned it into a half-skeg. As you understand, this has been MAJOR surgery and requires exceptional laminating skills--plus a leap of faith. He has also built a rigid dodger which would have turned a handsome profit for him if he had kept the mould. More frequently than not, his boat is in workshop mode and we constantly bounce ideas off each other. As far as my boat is concerned, the biggest changes have been in the electrics department (relocation of all batteries, new switch panel, tinned wiring, etc.) and constructing an anchor locker inside the V-berth in order to store my 85 kg of chain without upsetting the boat's balance too much. All these were documented in the old Ballad Exchange but, most likely, have to be reposted.

Nicholas
Moments of Clarity, Ballad #334