Saronic Spring (Part 4)

Nicholas Koligiannis

Saronic Spring (Part 4)

Post by Nicholas Koligiannis »

And, finally, part 4.
Attachments
There's plenty of colourful shrubbery and vegetation. You can even pick herbs for dinner. (The island of Angistri can be seen in the background.)
There's plenty of colourful shrubbery and vegetation. You can even pick herbs for dinner. (The island of Angistri can be seen in the background.)
P4301186.jpg (64.44 KiB) Viewed 15119 times
With constantly changing winds, ranging from 4 to 23 knots, sailing in the Saronic is less benign than one expects. But even with my usual Genoa 3 and full main...
With constantly changing winds, ranging from 4 to 23 knots, sailing in the Saronic is less benign than one expects. But even with my usual Genoa 3 and full main...
P4301158.jpg (40.86 KiB) Viewed 15119 times
...and an average wind speed of 11-13 knots...
...and an average wind speed of 11-13 knots...
P4301170.jpg (45.35 KiB) Viewed 15119 times
..Moments of Clarity easily logged 5.5+ knots.
..Moments of Clarity easily logged 5.5+ knots.
P4301169.jpg (55.2 KiB) Viewed 15119 times
Bob McGovern

Re: Saronic Spring (Part 4)

Post by Bob McGovern »

Thank you very much, Nicholas! Those are excellent photos of a really beautiful place. :) Also timely, as it is still below freezing here with snow and house-shaking wind. A little view of Spring helps a lot.

What are the general rules for anchoring, tying off ashore, or walking beaches or trails in the Mediterranean? In the USA, anchoring is mostly allowed except in special places, all beaches are (theoretically) public property to the high tide line, but otherwise most shoreside land is private and walking is not allowed.
Nicholas Koligiannis

Re: Saronic Spring (Part 4)

Post by Nicholas Koligiannis »

Hi Bob:

I can't speak for the entire Med but in Greece you can anchor pretty much anywhere you want to. Obviously, this excludes bays that are adjacent to Naval bases or spots where they are underwater cables (there're signs to warn you off). There's no such thing as private property on the shoreline, with the exception of hotels--even in these cases you can anchor in the bay and swim or row ashore. Same is true with walking beaches or trails. At any rate, I think the law states that you cannot build within 150 meters of the coastline but, this being Greece, laws can be interpreted very creatively. What makes this country so attractive cruising-wise is that they're thousands of secluded bays and coves that you can anchor in and, no matter what the wind direction is, you can find shelter. Having said that, a good anchoring system and long-ish stern lines are a must.

Nicholas