Tiller pilot

pirata

Tiller pilot

Post by pirata »

Wich tiller pilot you use?
I want to buy the Simrad tp10. Is this model ok for the Ballad?
M
peterohman

Re: Tiller pilot

Post by peterohman »

We have an Autohelm AH800. It is a small one, similar size as the Simrad 10. But we only use in calm weather, and then it works ok.
/Peter
Bob McGovern

Post by Bob McGovern »

We have the TP10 for our SJ21 and like it. I would advise stepping up to the TP22 for the Ballad. Max boat size for the TP10 is 8800#, which is close to a Ballad in full cruising trim. The TP22 will handle boats up to 11,000lbs. Many experts advise stepping up one size on things like roller furlers or autopilots if your boat is close to the dividing line.

Two other advantages of the TP22: its cycle time is MUCH faster, so it will steer a better course downwind; and it can be integrated with many GPS and wind instrument brands, so you can steer to apparent wind angle, correct for cross-track error, and so on. The TP10 is pure point-and-shoot. The larger pilot only costs $100USD more.

We'll probably bring the TP10 along as a backup unit, but we're looking at bigger models for the primary pilot.

Edit: Oops! I tell a lie. Just looked into our Simrad TP10 manual. Cycle times are the same for the TP10 and TP22. It is the TP32 that is twice as fast. In fact, the only benefits of the TP22 are a slightly stronger motor (11lbs more thrust) and the ability to connect to NMEA instruments or external compass. I'd probably still spring for the larger unit. Currently, we are looking at the Raymarine modular X5 tiller pilot, tho that decision is several years off for us. Tho there is a lot to be said for the simplicity of a self-contained unit. For one thing, if it refuses to work, it is real easy to throw overboard.;)

BTW, all Raymarine and Simrad tillerpilots seem to use the same connections and geometry. So you can pretty much swap one for another without moving deck hardware.
Crosie

Post by Crosie »

We had an ancient Autohelm 1000 with a compass dial on the top to set the direction. We found it very useful for motoring in calm conditions and it kept a fairly straight line. It had a useful switch on it for rougher conditions and sailing when it would become less reactive. This stopped it desperately trying to keep up with every turn of the boat, and helped conserve batteries, but it lacked power a bit.

When it finally gave up we bought a Raymarine 2000+, which is the successor 30 odd years later. Apart from an increase in power I am not sure it is much of an improvement. It hunts around a lot, even in calm conditions - it will move back and forth slightly, every second or so, even when it is pointing some wat off the correct course. I have tried to dial down the sensitivity but have not really found a satisfactory solution. Maybe they are all like that.

In any kind of rough conditions downwind they can't really cope.

Cameron
Cracklin Rosie #73
Liese

Post by Liese »

Hi,
we use the Raymarine ST 1000, the smaller version compared to the ST 2000 regarding the power.
It works fine, but I have to admit that in very rough conditions we normally steer ourselves. We had an Autohelm 1000 the first years (2006-2009) until some plastic broke inside.
That worked fine as well - considering our characteristics to use it.

The ST 1000 - as Crosie wrote - seems to be a little bit more nervous and I am missing as well a switch to change between ROUGH and CALM conditions.
Maybe we can post some parameter sets here to find a good setup?
Should be the same at least between ST1000 and ST2000.

As I remember the TP10 is almost similar to the ST1000 and the price was thereason for us to go with the Raymarine ST1000.

At the German Forum it seems that the majority of 2:1 goes for the ST2000 , even at 7 Bft.

Best regards,
Joerg
Bob McGovern

Post by Bob McGovern »

The ST2000+ has a different drive mechanism than the 1000+ -- recirculating ball rather than linear drive, IIRC. Upshot is ~40% more thrust & longer motor life. Unlike the TP10, both Raymarine pilots can be tied to your instruments. Both have LCD displays, which are easier to see what you are programming than the LED-flash sequences of the TP10. The ST line has a history of leaking around the keypad and condensation inside the LCD display. Any of the above will work fine on the Ballad for most coastal or daysailing.

I have some inclination to mount a tillerpilot -- possibly the Raymarine X5 -- belowdecks, attached to a tiller arm in the aft lazarette. It would get it well out of the way, tho these units don't have clutches so you need to take them off the pin to hand steer. Looks like the cockpit lockers complicate mounting on the Ballad?
MarkRyan1981

Post by MarkRyan1981 »

I have a ST2000+ - ancient and abused, but very reliable. It did fail once (when I was effectively single handed of course, sailing with my wife looking after our four month old below), where the motor broke loose of its fastenings to the bulkhead inside the autopilot which caused the spindle to separate from the spigot! Thankfully, at anchor, with the sound application of superglue, I managed to get the whole thing back together and working again.

Works well in most conditions I find, even on the wind with plenty of weather helm it is strong enough to hold a decent course. I've not tried it in a heavy sea mind you, just plenty of breeze.
pirata

Post by pirata »

Hi,
I've purchased the Simrad TP10 in svb.de for about 280€.
Today was the first test.
With 15Kts of wind worked very well with full main and genoa II. Very powerfull.
With the wind and wave behind it makes some sss but ok.
Against the wind was perfect.
The speed of the arm is a bit slow with the wind behind but for this price is ok.
The tack function worked well.
I cheked with Simrad if it has the latest software upgrade and they say yes.
Bob McGovern

Post by Bob McGovern »

pirata wrote:Hi,
I've purchased the Simrad TP10 in svb.de for about 280€.
Today was the first test.
With 15Kts of wind worked very well with full main and genoa II. Very powerfull.
With the wind and wave behind it makes some sss but ok.
Against the wind was perfect.
The speed of the arm is a bit slow with the wind behind but for this price is ok.
The tack function worked well.
I cheked with Simrad if it has the latest software upgrade and they say yes.
Helpful information -- thanks! We intend to bring our TP10 along as a backup autopilot.