Question about Mast Light Switch Locations

prjacobs

Question about Mast Light Switch Locations

Post by prjacobs »

Hello all,
I'm starting to re-wire the boat and trying to think ahead as much as possible to avoid doing things twice, my usual M.O. :shock:
With the batteries under the quarter berth, the engine instrument panel in the face of the bridge deck, and dual fuse boards behind the panel at the top of the companionway steps, wire lengths have been kept to a minimum.

My question is: what is the original location of the mast head light, running lights, and anchor light switches? I see a possible location outside, beside the engine panel, using waterproof switches. I'm trying to keep the fuse panel lid at the top of the steps clear so it can be lifted off and put to one side when access is needed, although I'm starting to think putting a hinge on the bottom and a latch at the top to allow it's use as a switch / gauge mounting place may be a better idea.

Any thoughts and feedback would be most welcome ... thanks!
Benoit

Re: Question about Mast Light Switch Locations

Post by Benoit »

Hello Peter,
I think that the original location of the switches for the lights was on the engine instrument panel. I still have the original engine on my Ballad and there's some hold switches that might be used for the lights.
Attachments
DSC_4670.JPG
DSC_4670.JPG (213.93 KiB) Viewed 28087 times
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

Thanks for the information and picture. That's exactly what I was looking for ... this is a great forum!
Bob McGovern

Post by Bob McGovern »

Hi, Peter. Here is our instrument panel. We have lots of waterproof switches, tho only two are labeled, four are wired, and I have no idea where they really go.;) Number 3 is labeled MAST -- presumably Mast, not Master. Not sure if that is anchor light, or the steaming/deck light. Number 4 is labeled IN -- Interior? Instruments?

There's also a rocker switch wired into the headliner to port, just inside the companionway. We may rationalize them. Perhaps #1 for running lights, #2 for steaming, #3 for deck/spreaders, and #4 for anchor. #5 might turn on the disco ball and fog machine. We'll wire the instruments to the running light circuit, and put all interior lighting below. I'm a little worried about any kind of switches outdoors, but it would be nice to reach those listed from the tiller. We have some leaks around the traveler thingy that haven't done the electrical panel many favors. Must decide whether to keep it there or move it to a bulkhead.
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

Thanks Bob. I'll go with that location as it's central to the main wiring and close at hand from the cockpit. I'll seal the edges of the plank across the bridge deck (under the traveller) and put a drip nose on it to help keep everything relatively dry. Maybe a top-hinged plexiglass cover might be a good idea?

On another note: I'm playing with LED strips for some indirect soft lighting in the two cabins. A $7 investment on ebay bought me 15' of warm white LED's that are "cutable" and self adhesive.

I'm installing them behind the valence that hides the hull-deck joint in the main and forward cabins. Power consumption is about 1 Watt per foot of lighting. They look great and provide enough light to see your way around without turning on the big lights.
Bob McGovern

Post by Bob McGovern »

Love it. Those LED strips are becoming common undercabinet lights for the kitchens I build. Better for boats, maybe -- in a house, they require a low-voltage transformer, which typically last 1-3 years & sometimes catch fire. :shock:

I wouldn't mind the electrical panel where it is, if it could be kept for-sure dry. Might have to fab a GRP enclosure for it. Did you run a windlass circuit forward? We need to decide early on whether to dress those cables or not. Too fat to run later. There are some interesting windlass & bow thruster setups that use a dedicated battery: shorter cable runs, hence smaller wires. The battery is recharged from the house bank or alternator using smaller-gauge wire.
Benoit

Post by Benoit »

Hello,
In addition, I found this information on the ballad handbook:
Attachments
Sans titre.jpg
Sans titre.jpg (32.84 KiB) Viewed 27996 times
pirata

Post by pirata »

I have the Ballad #253 with the original engine md6a.
switch 1 nothing
switch 2 running lights
switch 3 steam light (when we switch the steam light at the same time with the running lights switch on the engine instruments lights)
switch 4 anchor light