Volvo penta exhaust elbow (MD6A) out of production - help :)

dahlke

Volvo penta exhaust elbow (MD6A) out of production - help :)

Post by dahlke »

Sorry about placing this under electric - the forum seems to be missing a place for engine related posts.

I started cleaning the engine in my Ballad yesterday. I noticed some small drops of water on the exhaust elbow and wiped them away. Later I had a second look at the exhaust elbow and there had formed new drops of water. A closer look revealed what looks like a microscopic tear/crack. Today I called Volvo, sadly they told me that the part is no longer in production and that they would not be able to sell me any kind of replacement.

What should I do?

Mads
Ballad #332 (aka. Obelix)
Restoration blog
Boat and restoration pictures
TamTam

Re: Volvo penta exhaust elbow (MD6A) out of production - hel

Post by TamTam »

Hey Mads,

last year I saw that exhaust part at a local store as a special offer. I will be in that shop this week again so I can ask for it.
But I don´t know if it`s still available...are those parts similar to MD7a parts?

Best regards
Nico
dahlke

Post by dahlke »

TamTam wrote:Hey Mads,

last year I saw that exhaust part at a local store as a special offer. I will be in that shop this week again so I can ask for it.
But I don´t know if it`s still available...are those parts similar to MD7a parts?

Best regards
Nico

Hi Nico

That would be awesome! :-) I don't know if it is possible to use the exhaust elbow from a MD7A on a MD6A. They do look somewhat alike but are not 100% identical. If the MD7A exhaust elbow fits the manifold on the MD6A it should be possible.

If you get the chance to ask I would be very grateful :-)
Mads
Restoration blog
Sanlen

Post by Sanlen »

Hi Mads,

I had a MD6A in Sanlen before I installed a Nanni. It had a stainless exhaust elbow from UbiTrade.

You can also try Davids Mekaniska Verkstad in Gothenburg, they sell used VP parts.
Best regards,
Jan
#547 Sanlen
Owner since 1993
Bob McGovern

Post by Bob McGovern »

These elbows show up from time to time on eBay (mostly in Europe) and in various small shops. A good exhaust shop could also fabricate one, or you can make your own if it comes to that. IIRC, Peter built a water injection riser/elbow for his Yanmar. If we keep the MD6A and change to a wet exhaust, we will probably do likewise. One advantage over the stock part is you can add a bit of rise to the exhaust, making back-flooding of the engine less likely. Gook luck! It takes ingenuity to keep these old Volvos going.
dahlke

Post by dahlke »

Crisis averted :-) I turns out there are plenty of spare parts for the MD6A - although not original Volvo parts. I've ordered a new stainless exhaust elbow (USD 200). It should arrive later this month. Fingers crossed fitting it will be easy (not quite the same shape and size as the original).

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions :-)
Mads
Restoration blog
TamTam

Post by TamTam »

Stainless Exhaust sounds good! I keep my finger crossed... :)
Thanasis

Post by Thanasis »

dahlke wrote: Mon Mar 10, 2014 8:05 pm Crisis averted :-) I turns out there are plenty of spare parts for the MD6A - although not original Volvo parts. I've ordered a new stainless exhaust elbow (USD 200). It should arrive later this month. Fingers crossed fitting it will be easy (not quite the same shape and size as the original).

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions :-)
Can you P L E A S E !!! , give me the source of the stainless steel exhaust manifold of the MD7a , you found ?
prjacobs

Re: Volvo penta exhaust elbow (MD6A) out of production - help :)

Post by prjacobs »

I found Yanmar elbows at http://hdimarine.net/
I could not find MD6A elbows on the website, but you could contact the owner to check.
Hope this helps.