LED STRIP LIGHTS

prjacobs

LED STRIP LIGHTS

Post by prjacobs »

I've made extensive use of LED strip lighting in the ballad. It's easy to install and easy on the batteries. I buy Chinese product from ebay for about $7 for a 5m long strip. I've tried both the waterproof type and the non-waterproof type, always in warm white for the ambiance. After 2 1/2 years on the water since launch my findings are:
- The 600 light rolls put out a lot more light than the 300 light rolls (obviously), but the 300's are nice for background lighting behind the main cabin valences.

- The waterproof variety has a lot higher failure rate than the non-waterproof type. In fact, I've replaced all of the waterproof ones at least once, and twice in some areas such as the galley and the V-berth. Haven't had any failures in the non-waterproof ones ... strange but true, which is why I'm switching over to all non-waterproof strips.

I also installed LED reading lights (also from China, about $30 a pair) and had 2 bulb failures. Spare bulbs are quite reasonable, so it's not a problem ... just carry some spares.

It's nice to flick on every light in the boat and not have to worry about draining the battery in a short time!
MarkRyan1981

Re: LED STRIP LIGHTS

Post by MarkRyan1981 »

Thanks for posting Peter, do you have any pictures? I'd love to do this!
Bob McGovern

Post by Bob McGovern »

Quality varies on those no-name rolls of LED. I've had some good luck, some not-so-good. But they are cheap enuf to not fret, esp. if they are just accent lighting rather than critical task or navigation lamps. The 'waterproof' strips are epoxy potted & probably die from heat. The other thing that kills LEDs is over-current, which can be related to heat buildup. It can be tricky running LEDs straight off a battery or simple rectifier/transformer. While they are not particularly sensitive to voltage -- some running happily on anything from 8-120V -- they are easily killed by excessive current. A good AC install will use a switching power supply to limit current; most low-voltage DC installs run straight off a battery, with no current-limiting circuitry.

I just replaced two of four ceiling troffers (2x4' recessed fluorescent fixtures with diffusers) with LED versions of same in the workshop. Basically four rows of strip lights. They are somewhat brighter, don't yellow and dim with age like fluorescent tubes, and use roughly 1/3rd the energy. Also spares me two ballast replacements a year? Hopefully won't produce as much radio noise also, tho proof of that awaits swapping out the other two troffers. I'm playing with these for cabin lights for the Ballad:

http://www.fisheriessupply.com/lunasea- ... 33aw-81-ot

Much thinner than the original dome lights.
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

Mark,
Here is a link to a blog on what I installed for LED's.
Pagan's LED Interior Lights