handrail for Ballad

Benoit

handrail for Ballad

Post by Benoit »

Hello all,
Both wooden handrail on the deck of my Ballad are pretty old and not in very good condition. I am searching some new ones but it seems impossible to find (with this lenght and with 5 loops as the original one). I only found some with 5 loop but shorters or with the good lenght but with 8 loops.
Does anyone know where I can buy those parts?

Many thanks
ballad378

Re: handrail for Ballad

Post by ballad378 »

A few years ago I went to a carpenter and asked him to make a wooden copy in teak of the original.
If was not cheap but it fits on deck and is was not necessary to drill new holes.
good luck. Jim
Benoit

Post by Benoit »

Many thanks Jim.
I think that you solution is the best at the end.
I have also seen that plasteak is able to perform customized handrails in synthetic teak which seems to be like teak (at least on the photos of their website).
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

Somewhere in the photos section of the old Ballad Exchange I saw a picture of a Ballad with stainless cabin top rails. I made a copy of the photo, and post it below, asking if the owner of this boat can shed some light on the origin of these fine handrails. They seem like a good alternative to wood ones, certainly stronger and one less thing to varnish!
Attachments
Stainless_Handrails.jpg
Stainless_Handrails.jpg (33.72 KiB) Viewed 20420 times
Jesper Milling

Post by Jesper Milling »

I also had new handrails made, by a local boatbuilder. I even had to buy new stainless screws from him because the local boatsupply didn't have any long enough.
Kind regards, Jesper Milling
patentnick

Post by patentnick »

One of the original handrails snapped under use so I've replaced mine with 30mm stainless steel tubing and chrome bronze bases. They're a lot more solid and I've through-bolted them to the wooden handrails in the cabin (the original bronze screws can fail). This photo is far from ideal but I don't have access to my boat's photo files right now. When I do, I'll post a fw more.
P1000026.JPG
P1000026.JPG (2.84 MiB) Viewed 20395 times
Benoit

Post by Benoit »

many thanks, I have to think about those ideas. Wood is more beautifull but steel seems to be a good compromise (it will be cheapest and more solid).