Manual Bilge Pump Outlet

prjacobs

Manual Bilge Pump Outlet

Post by prjacobs »

Hi,
I'm interested in an alternative location for the manual bilge pump outlet. The original setup where it Tee's into the port cockpit drain probably won't pass muster at survey time. Higher up would be better, and I thought of putting an outlet higher up on the transom, but because of the reverse tilt it might be subject to collecting water.
Any ideas out there?
Thanks.
Bob McGovern

Re: Manual Bilge Pump Outlet

Post by Bob McGovern »

High on the freeboard or under the counter should work. Probably want a high loop or vented loop on either, tho, to prevent a siphon from starting. PO plumbed a nylon thru hull under the port side sheer. Might re-use it, tho the hose routing must have cut down his pump output by at least half.

So we have, in our cockpit sole, a curious little pop-up fitting. Like a bathtub drain plunger, just ahead of the port side scupper. Below it is a foot-long brass tube, then a hefty (1-1.5") vinyl hose, leading thru the engine compartment and into the aftmost bilge compartment. At first I thought it was a fill of some kind. Then a secondary scupper, or a means of flushing the bilge with rainwater. Then the trumpet-like shape of the plunger, plus the fact it is held captive by a threaded rod, hinted it is meant to be attached to a high-capacity bilge pump. Pressure from the pump would pop up the cap, water would shoot into the cockpit & presumably right out the scuppers.

Is that what the little fitting is for? (we need to start a "What the heck is this thing?" thread.;)) If so, it is clever, tho I'd like some assurance it actually works. Like, if the boat got pooped with the washboards out, how useful is it to have your bilge pump trying to evacuate water below into an already-flooded cockpit?

At least anyone steering would be made aware there was water in the bilge -- when the sprinkler turned on. :o