Anchor platforms, bowsprits

Bob McGovern

Anchor platforms, bowsprits

Post by Bob McGovern »

We'd like a short bow extension for stowing one (and possibly a second) delta/claw/Manson-style anchor, probably around 35lbs (15kg) on a chain or mixed chain/nylon rode. We intend to add roller furling but no windlass at this time. Anchor will be raised by hand and rode fed down a hawsepipe.

We will also be adding one or more flying sails to the inventory -- a code zero (or nylon #1 genoa) and possibly an asymetric spinnaker. We would like to fly these out in front of the normal headstay. So the anchor platform would need to handle both the upward and lateral loads of a large flying sail (with bobstay). The Code 0/genoa would be on a removable furler; any asym would probably have a snuffer sock.

There are a couple photos of Ballads with bow anchor platforms -- does anyone have more ideas to share? We absolutely do not want to mess up the balance or beauty of the boat. But there is not a lot of room up there for hardware, and the raised bulwark/toe rail further complicates things. We might have to raise the bow fitting to accommodate a platform, unless we mount it below the sheer.
pirata

Re: Anchor platforms, bowsprits

Post by pirata »

fotografia (2).JPG
fotografia (2).JPG (33.5 KiB) Viewed 38147 times

Try this site. In the catalog search for the ref. GPAT100 it's the one advised for the Albin Ballad. They asked me about 1000€ for this one.

Because I don't like this bowsprit (and the price) I'm making my own bowsprit. In the photo you can see a test version. It's not finished yet. as soon as possible I'll send you the photos with the finished bowsprit (for half the price)

With this bowsprit and a chain pipe in the deck I think it's the best solution for the Ballad
Bob McGovern

Post by Bob McGovern »

Progress! Or at least, an advanced form of time-wasting. ;) Here's a second-generation mockup of anchor platform. This one is just strong enough to raise and lower an anchor from. The design brief is somewhat complicated by our choice of a new-style anchor with roll bar, which makes swing geometry and stowage more difficult. For this mockup, I am using a 10kg Delta, which is very similar in geometry to a Rocna or Manson (minus roll bar).

It sits mostly level, which we like. Pulls up tight to the roller. And we have the option of routing it inside or outside the bow pulpit stanchion:

We may need to move the skene chocks back, though. I'm not thrilled with the bobstay angle. Has anyone figured out a better arrangement?
Nicholas Koligiannis

Post by Nicholas Koligiannis »

Hi to all:

To add my two cents' worth to the anchor roller/platform subject, I'm posting a few photos of the arrangement on Moments of Clarity. It's a twin roller system because I often launch two anchors in a V formation. They are essentially two bow rollers made out of 4mm stainless steel welded together, with space in the middle for the forestay tang. They have two support struts, since I've seen too many arrangements whose single, central support is often bent. In the forward part the inner cheeks are joined by a U-bolt which serves as the gennaker tack attachment. Under this, there's a piece of 5mm wire with a rigging screw which ends on a strong point midway along the edge of the bow. This takes the gennaker load--although the platform is strong enough without it. In general, it's pretty beefy but somehow doesn't detract too much from the Ballad's beautiful bow. At any rate, in this part of the world, it's a good idea to have something that can handle a big anchor and lots of chain. I hope the photos are self-explanatory.

Nicholas
Attachments
P1030557.JPG
P1030557.JPG (137.23 KiB) Viewed 35300 times
P5071281.JPG
P5071281.JPG (217.51 KiB) Viewed 35300 times
P5071282.JPG
P5071282.JPG (209.73 KiB) Viewed 35300 times
P5071283.JPG
P5071283.JPG (197.32 KiB) Viewed 35300 times
P5071280.JPG
P5071280.JPG (222.46 KiB) Viewed 35300 times
Bob McGovern

Post by Bob McGovern »

Yowza! Those oare some hefty bow rollers. You are right, tho -- they have less visual impact than you would expect, given their size. I think we've come up with a shorter, tapered platform design similar to Pirata's that will work for us.
It will fit two anchors for the V-system anchoring you use (another roller will fit on the left side). Visual impact isn't too bad.
If the anchorage is rolly, we can lead the rode back to chocks or a bridle snubber, minimizing lateral loads on the platform. I'm also pondering a stainless steel gusset instead of a rigid bobstay:
It would tie to the stem fitting and continue down another few inches. Given the Ballad's stem angle, there are diminishing returns to attaching further down, and the gusset would be less prone to damage than tubing or cable.
B1144

Post by B1144 »

Hi Nicholas,

I tried to contact you directly through this email-address. nicholas@thesyndicate.gr , but it did not work.
I have a photo of your boat, but the resolution is rather poor. I like the impression plus all the details on your ship.
I own my Ballad since 30 years here in Holland. I also did some alterations on my ship but not so much as you did.
In the past I have contacted you a few times. Maybe you remember me
Can you please send me an example of that photo with a higher resolution.

Kind regards,
Gerard Nöllen
B1144
Mallejan
gerardnollen@gmail.com
Attachments
IMG-0373.JPG
IMG-0373.JPG (47.09 KiB) Viewed 34850 times
bulldoserist

Post by bulldoserist »

Hei!
It is modification of AB N 1312, few days ago.
Attachments
bow-plate with anchor 03.jpg
bow-plate with anchor 03.jpg (370.16 KiB) Viewed 33882 times
bow-plate with anchor 02.jpg
bow-plate with anchor 02.jpg (410.8 KiB) Viewed 33882 times
bow-plate with anchor 01.jpg
bow-plate with anchor 01.jpg (452.56 KiB) Viewed 33882 times
MarkRyan1981

Post by MarkRyan1981 »

That looks like a great bit of work - bet its going to put the mooring charges up though :)