Sprayhood!

MarkRyan1981

Sprayhood!

Post by MarkRyan1981 »

Hello all,

Triolas (Ballad number 51) sprayhood is long past its best and its time to replace it.

Any recommended companies or suppliers? Anyone who sells these 'off the peg'? Vega Marin gave me a quote for around 5000 SEK (about £520), which is very keen indeed but comes without a grab rail.

Ta,

Mark
Liese

Re: Sprayhood!

Post by Liese »

I sent an inquiry to german sailmakers (Lübeck / Kiel) keeping the steel.
Prices were around 1000-1150 EUR (!!!) ....

I received an information from another german skipper for a maxi about http://www.rs-ab.se/ .
They sent a price of
Prise without bygel 3000sek inkl sv tax + freight
, but they have 2 different kinds (rubber cord / line - I do not really know what that means....).

At Vega Marin I only saw that site: http://www.vegamarin.se/batkapellboat-c ... 299-1.aspx
MarkRyan1981

Post by MarkRyan1981 »

The frame from Albin Marin looks a bit weak (http://www.vegamarin.se/albin-ballad-p-60-c-299.aspx) and they do not offer grab handles for this reason. In response to asking for a grab handle price they said "We have no grabrail for mounting s not stable enough to trust it. it can produce false security." Has anyone got any experience of the Albin Marin Ballad sprayhood? Its a very good price compared to C.J. marines offering, which is £960 including the VAT. (although this includes substantial grab handles and they have a great reputation for quality).

Can anyone suggest any other supplier?
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

To digress a little, if I may: The frame pictured here , I think, is a Vega frame whose forward bow has an angular shape. I think (although I've never seen one) both Ballad frames are a smooth bow. :!: I'd love to get the dimensions of an original frame, :!: as mine never made it home with the boat and was probably destroyed when the mast was lowered a bit suddenly.
I made a new frame for the Vega from 7/8" (22mm) stainless tubing as it's so much easier to work with than 1" (25mm) and is quite strong enough for me, grab bars and all. I used the original frames as a pattern, as I wanted to keep that "Albin" look.
Adding a couple of struts back to the cockpit combing improved it's rigity. A couple of quick-release pins on the struts allow it to be lowered onto the cabin roof.
Bob McGovern

Post by Bob McGovern »

How'd you bend the frames? We're already committed to 1"SS, tho thick vs. thin wall hasn't been decided. Did you home-build a bending jig, or use a dedicated tubing roller? We'd like to match the Ballad's lovely coaming arch, but beyond that we're still puzzling over designs. We'll probably need zippered windows for the heat.
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

Hi Bob,
I've bent 1" frames with this home-built rig from plans in Don Casey's "Canvas Work and sail Repair". It's also in his "This Old Boat". Crude but effective, and a little grease makes it a lot easier to bend. I fill the pipes with dry fine mason's sand and cork the ends ... helps stop it from kinking. On my first dodger I used 1" tubing, and on the second, 7/8" ... much easier to form with this crude rig. On the last photo of the album is a bender I'd like to build one day ... when I have time :D
Bob McGovern

Post by Bob McGovern »

Neat. Have to love a workspace where you can bolt things to the floor. :D People ask why my workbench is cheap, ugly MDF rather than fine laminated hard maple. "So I can screw stuff to it, silly." I've been eyeballing this Harbor Freight tubing roller, since we have quite a lot of metal forming to do on Fionn:

http://www.harborfreight.com/tubing-roller-99736.html

Would love to know how well it does with stainless. Since it goes to 2" diameter steel, it should be alright, no? Always a dice-roll with HF, tho their liberal returns policy makes it worth the gamble. We've already bought the fitting for our dodger -- had a Sailrite gift certificate that was about to expire, blew it on fittings and some patterning scrim. The plan is to mock it up several ways in CPVC plumbing pipe & scrim, until we are happy with the design. We'll also need to make the 'lines led aft' decision before committing to a dodger shape. Question for the experienced: Can you drop the traveler on a deep reach w/out the mainsheet hitting your dodger?
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

That looks like a pretty neat bender. It got lots of positive reviews, but nobody mentions bending stainless. If you get one please post your experiences with it ... I just may get one!
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

Speaking of sprayhoods (dodgers): I have an original style cover for mine but the frame is missing. I'm pretty sure I can make a reasonable copy, but if someone could measure (on an original style frame) the actual length of the front and back bows, from pivot to pivot around the curve, I'd be very grateful. Those two measurements should give me enough to start.
Thanks!
Peter.
Nbruaset

Post by Nbruaset »

Hello
I am seiling A new sprayhood from vegamarin, Colour white( 301), with pvc reinforcement on the toppen Edge. Seilling because I ordered the wrong Colour. Type 2. I also have two pockets for ropes in cocpit in white, also vegamarin.
I live in Norway . Can send in Mail . Price sprayhood 2000 norwegian kr , pockets 200kr each. I have pictures if interested.
Send e-Mail to: nbruaset@online.no