Mounting a Bruce anchor

prjacobs

Mounting a Bruce anchor

Post by prjacobs »

I'm looking for a tidy way to mount my 10kg Bruce anchor on the bow without it flopping around. I don't want to add a bowsprit, just keep it as simple as possible.
On my Vega there was a Windline BRM4 that was perfect: self launching and made for the Bruce 10kg. But it's about 1/2" too wide to fit on the port side of the bow because of the pulpit leg, and I'm reluctant to start doing surgery on either the pulpit or the anchor mount.
I also have a 7kg Bruce-style that may be a better fit, and could always change it for the 10kg when needed.
I'm looking for ideas, so any suggestions or pictures of what others have done would be helpful ... thanks!
prjacobs

Re: Mounting a Bruce anchor

Post by prjacobs »

I've solved my problem: instead of looking for a bigger anchor roller I decided to use a smaller anchor. :D
Here are some pictures of my solution, which is described in more detail here.
dahlke

Re: Mounting a Bruce anchor

Post by dahlke »

prjacobs wrote:I've solved my problem: instead of looking for a bigger anchor roller I decided to use a smaller anchor. :D
Here are some pictures of my solution, which is described in more detail here.
Seems like a great solution :) I haven't even begun to consider what I'm going to do. Where do you keep the chain? I've seen a few Ballads with plywood glassed in place to create a watertight compartment for the anchor rode (in the bow).

An example. This is from http://www.blue-bird.dk (in Danish). Great guy that lives year round on his Ballad in Copenhagen (Denmark).
Mads
Ballad #332 (aka. Obelix)
Restoration blog
Boat and restoration pictures