Anchor Windlass

prjacobs

Anchor Windlass

Post by prjacobs »

Good day Forum,
I'm researching anchor windlasses for Pagan to make my life a little easier, and am wondering what other Ballad sailors are using.
My present choice is a Maxwell RC-6, as it presents a nice low profile on deck and only protrudes into the chain locker 200mm (8").

With my 10kg Bruce anchor, 30m of 6mm G4 chain, and 60m of 12mm rode, and using Maxwell's formula of 3 X (anchor weight + chain weight + rode weight) it falls well within the allowable maximum pull of 350kg (770lbs).
I'd be very interested to hear what other Ballad specific setups are being used.
Thanks!
Bob McGovern

Re: Anchor Windlass

Post by Bob McGovern »

Those vertical units are nice for their low on-deck profile; you have enough distance between your roller & the anchor locker bulkhead to put it inside the locker? (I've done very little work in the pointy end & don't recall how long that distance is, except that our foredeck cleat straddles the bulkhead.)

What would the wire size & circuit breaker be for such a windlass? Guessing 4 ga./50 amp? It's an upgrade we're pondering ourselves, tho we'll probably put it off until the boat is in Mexico. But I was just now messing around with our prototype bowsprit/anchor platform, and handling even a 10kg anchor minus chain was tiring. I was thinking, "How will we do this with a 15kg anchor, plus 10-15m chain?"
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

Using the template in the instructions, the windlass will sit right over the existing hawse pipe hole, although I'll have to enlarge it a bit. The chain line points right at the existing anchor roller, which I'm presently using. The Bruce is nice and short, so space is not a problem. (I'm sure I'll find a few of those when installtion time comes around :( )
My bow cleat front bolt is just barely inside the chain locker, the rear bolt is over the V-berth.
Using the West Marine wiring charts, it looks like #2 wire will keep me within the 3% voltage drop spec, although the Maxwell installation manual says #4 is good for up to a 20m return run. I've measured my required wire length and it's just under 15m return. I'll wait until I get the kit to see what terminals will fit, before buying the wire.
The isolator/breaker is included in the kit (not sure what the amperage is), along with all the other goodies (less wire) needed for the install.
Bob McGovern

Post by Bob McGovern »

Our hawsepipe hole is well forward and to port, maybe 4" from the water deck fill. It needs to move anyway, so probably we'll put it where we could copy your windlass setup later. Useful information, Peter! Are you beefing up the deck near the windlass, or tying the deck to the bulkhead? The sandwich is fully 30mm thick there, but our inner skin is less than 3mm. Easy to crush.

I think we've finally settled on the Manson Supreme 11kg (25lb) for our cruising anchor. It's lighter than originally planned, but these new designs supposedly don't need as much weight as older anchors to dig in. Rocna likely performs better, but the owners kind of get on my nerves. :| Fitting the thing with that rollbar will be interesting.

prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

I like the hoop on top ... maybe retrofit a Bruce that way? I guess the idea of it is to make the anchor roll over, pointy end down. But it would be nice for launching and retrieving it at the bow to prevent clashes with the paint work.
Bob McGovern

Post by Bob McGovern »

Yeah -- don't know if you are familiar with the Bugel/Spade/Rocna/Manson/Mantus design philosophy, but the idea is to use a flat or concave 'shovel' fluke, a sharp point, and acute shank angle to bury fast & deep -- usually w/in one shaft-length. Especially useful where other designs have problems: kelp, hard-packed sand (claw), muck (Delta), and reversing tides/currents (CQR, Danforth). Total holding power is higher than traditional designs, but the real benefit of the new anchors is in quick set, reliable re-set, and ability to cope with different bottoms. What they don't deal with well is short scope. That might cause you problems in the PNW. Also, they pick up ghastly amounts of mud.:D We're installing a deck wash hose.

Here's a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwaVD2KqitM

The rollbar can make fitting to platforms or stowing below an issue; would work fine w/ your roller; the Mantus can be disassembled for stowing (storm anchor). Of the bunch, I believe the Rocna is the best all-around performer. But the Manson is made in New Zealand instead of China (my experiences w/ Chinese steel have been dismal), and the Rocna design is owned by a most obnoxious father/son pair who spend nearly all their time attacking all other anchor makers. Shame, cuz the product is really good. I'm just reluctant to give my money to such complete jerks.;)