Cockpit bulkhead

Sanlen

Cockpit bulkhead

Post by Sanlen »

Does anybody have an idea of what the cockpit bulkhead inclination might be? I'm looking for a new bulkhead mounted compass and if the inclination exceeds 10 degrees the model is different.
Best regards,
Jan
#547 Sanlen
Owner since 1993
Liese

Re: Cockpit bulkhead

Post by Liese »

Hi,
I checked the Drawing Database at http://www.Ballad.de (Drawing 58864).
The angle shown is 8,6° acc. my measurement using GIMP.
Ballad-Cockpit-Bulkhead.png
Ballad-Cockpit-Bulkhead.png (83.14 KiB) Viewed 18149 times
Does that help?

Best regards,
Joerg
Bob McGovern

Post by Bob McGovern »

Our Ballad is on the hard, so it isn't perfectly level. But using the cabin floor as a reference & compensating for the boat leaning backwards, I measured just under 10 degrees for the bulkhead angle -- very close to what Joerg found with the drawings. And very close to the dividing line for your compass models! :|

I guess you could buy either model, then if needed use a bevel trim ring to add or subtract angle. The bulkhead is not quite vertical, but not really very sloped, either. :?
Sanlen

Post by Sanlen »

Thanks for taking yout time measuring and your replies! I guess I will have to buy the model designed for 0-10 degrees, since the other one is designed for 10-25 degrees.

BTW, this is the compass: http://www.navimousa.com/Contest.pdf. My local dealer gave me a great offer, only 117$ :)
Best regards,
Jan
#547 Sanlen
Owner since 1993
Bob McGovern

Post by Bob McGovern »

The Contest 101? That's the compass we are looking at! Hope you let us know how it works for you. I like the idea of a compass you can read from the navigation seat, which on our Ballad faces aft. Tho IIRC, the 101 has no magnetic compensators built in? You can add them if needed. That price is very good. :)
Sanlen

Post by Sanlen »

Yep, the Contest 101. I've had the predecessor Contest 100 on another boat and found the possibility to read the compass from inside very helpful. Compensators are sold separate, they cost around 40$ here in Sweden.
Best regards,
Jan
#547 Sanlen
Owner since 1993