Tiller versus wheel

northerncaller

Tiller versus wheel

Post by northerncaller »

Hi All

Had a strange thought yesterday, whilst tacking single-handed round Start Point, with 17 knots of rain on the nose and knocking the auto-pilot off its nipple; Gancia Girl would be a lot easier to handle with a wheel!

Now before you Ballad purists out there shout 'sacrilege!', give it some consideration. I don't know how long your tiller is but mine stops just 20 inches from the traveller. I know that gives you better leverage with the large spade rudder but that's the only advantage I can see. I've never had 4 people on the boat but I can see it would be a squeeze, especially if the auto-pilot's on and I do want to make a cruise with an enthusiastic crew. I find it tight even when I'm single-handed! I've raced a Ballad with 6 up and 3 of them had to be permanently on the windward rail. All right for short periods but not for a cruise. A wheel would leave so much more room in the cockpit. Of course the binacle would take up more room in the evenings, while lounging with a couple of beers, but sailing's the thing.

Having said that, though, I have no idea whether it's possible. So, with apologies if I'm offending anyone, let me put the questions out there. Has anyone else thought about it and, more importantly, has anyone actually done it?

Cheers!

Mike
MarkRyan1981

Re: Tiller versus wheel

Post by MarkRyan1981 »

Hello Mike,

Its an interesting concept, however I think you would limit your cockpit space even more :).

http://www.edsonmarine.com/support/whee ... /S-438.pdf

At least you can put the tiller up and out of the way when its not needed, with a wheel you no longer have that option. It's also more to go wrong :).

I'm guessing as Edson marine have plans, it must have been done before though, so let us know how you get on!! Where do you keep your Ballad?

Mark