Diesel in the bilge

peterr

Diesel in the bilge

Post by peterr »

Hi all.

I have diesel in my bilge. The boat is on land now, and i found the bilge full of water mixed with diesel. The boat stinks. I have removed all madrases
and drained the bilge. What now? I have tried to clean with water an soap and air it out, but it helps little.
Do i have to ditch it?

Best regards Peterr
MarkRyan1981

Re: Diesel in the bilge

Post by MarkRyan1981 »

I would first look to locate where the diesel came from. I had the same problem on our cruise we wrote up below: http://www.albinballad.co.uk/wp-content ... rticle.pdf a few years ago - I had over filled the tank and it was the vent pipe that was leaking - or SOMEWHERE on the top of the tank.

To absorb diesel from your bilges you can use anything from nappies to something like this: http://www.force4.co.uk/department/engi ... dQyU_lVhBc. Once all the diesel is gone (and I think that's where you have got to), I would use some neat bilge cleaner and give it a scrub. The smell will linger, but it'll soon go.

Good luck, let us know how you get on!
peterr

Post by peterr »

OH OH
I did the same. Overfilled the tank, and some diesel came out of the overflow and out on the deck.
i cleaned it up, but some of it must have got out in other Places.

How is the ventpipe constructed? I have to get a closer look at the tank to see if its still leaking, and clean up around the area.

I will keep you informed on the Progress.

Best Peterr
peterr

Post by peterr »

Hi Again.

I found the leak. It was the fuel supply for the heater. i overfilled the tank and that was to much for the connection.
can anyone give me advise on how to fix it? It is of course not possible to solder it on.

By the way. i came to this conclusion with help from Mark Ryan and Mads Dahlke :) :)

Best Peterr
Attachments
IMG_0436.jpg
IMG_0436.jpg (252.2 KiB) Viewed 14463 times
MarkRyan1981

Post by MarkRyan1981 »

Well done finding the leak! Is the fuel coming out where the fitting comes out of the tank or on one of the pipe joins? Is there a diesel fuel tap close to your heater?

If it is coming out of the fitting on the top of the tank, it could be that either the rubber has gone on the seal on the top of the tank, or that simply it is not tight enough to make a fuel tight connection.

The 'best' place for the overfilled fuel to come out I suppose is the deck vent - no place is ideal mind you as I'm sure as the fuel floods over the side you'll get some angry glances from the marina whist you dive down below to get some washing up liquid to break up the spill.

Good luck sorting it!
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

Hi Peterr
Looking at your picture, it would appear the heater supply line was put in at a later date. You might try JB WELD to fix the leak, if it's a crack in the tank and not the valve or hose.
I have a plugged hole for a heater supply line where, in your photo just to the right of the engine supply line, there is another fuel outlet with the valve in the "off" position. Would it be possible to plug the leaking one and use this on instead for the heater?