Propeller axle strut - Ballad

kaidepuu

Re: Propeller axle strut - Ballad

Post by kaidepuu »

PhilippZ wrote: Wed Mar 15, 2017 8:42 pm Kaidepuu,

After catching a rope with the propellor I will have to face fixing the shaft strut as well. From the first looks if the cracked fiberglass it is the same as in your pictures, just a simple metal plate where the bearing is bolted to. so you ended up replacing the old strut with the V-shaped part. Have you tried to just laminate the simple strut back on in the beginning? I am tempted to go that way, but worried that it will be a painful process trying to align the strut and keeping it in place until the epoxy is hard enough.
I am happy for any advise :)

Cheers,
Philipp
Hi, thank you for comment - I´m sorry for my delayed answer. It doesnt´t sound well to hear that you have the same structure that has met an accident. I wonder how it in the origin is possible in a reliable boat as Ballad. The repair in my boat was done in a shipyard by a professional guy. He was quite astonished about the structure and denied to repair it without the V-joint.
kaidepuu

Post by kaidepuu »

The repair in my boat was done in a shipyard by a professional guy. He was quite astonished about the structure and denied to repair it without the V-joint.
Symystic

Post by Symystic »

I had to remove my strut and then glass it back on. Had a rope get caught in the prop. Mine had a cup that I used again. It was moulded to the shape of the hull. To line it back up I installed a new cutlass bearing, attached the coupling to the back of the transmission, then used a boat stand to center the shaft in the pilot tube. I started with stiffened expoy, then used 4 layers of bi-axel cloth. 5 years later, from the Caribbean to Malaysia all good. Be sure to leave the stuffing box loose during fitup. After the glass cured, primed and bottom paint on I checked the engine alignment before splash. I checked it again after it had been in the water for a few days, was still good. I do check that area very well every haul.
I am hauling the boat in November, one of the jobs is to replace the mast step. I snaked a borescope camera in there fron the opening in front of it and got a good scare. Gotta fix that. I will take and post pictures of the repair. Great resource, check in often. Thanks mark
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

Reading this thread, I can feel the hair on the back of my neck standing up.
In May I did a haul-out, and was about to re-launch when I noticed water seeping from a hair line crack on the starboard side of the prop strut. I ground out a large chunk of fibreglass (from a previous PO's repair) and did a new layup of many layers of cloth and epoxy. Alignment was still good so I'd caught it in time.
A month later we hit a log so lifted the boat out to check for damage. There was none, not even a scratch in the bottom paint and the strut still looked good.
Scary stuff ....
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG (331.22 KiB) Viewed 17882 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (266.55 KiB) Viewed 17882 times