Running backstays

Bob McGovern

Running backstays

Post by Bob McGovern »

While unwrapping the mast, I found a number of mysteries. Perhaps you can help me with these. First, there are 2:1 running backstays that attach to a tang, oh, about 2.5m below the cap (upper) shrouds. I assume those are to control bowing of the upper mast section when using the inner staysail on a babystay? They seem too high for that, but it's the only purpose I can think of. Where on deck would you attach the ends of the running backs?

There are two exit sheaves above the spreaders -- one about a meter above, the other maybe three meters above. Are these both for hoisting flying staysails attached to the babystay deck fitting? No tangs on the mast above the sheaves to suggest a separate stay. I could see running backs being useful with the upper exit sheave, but the lower is close enough to the spreaders, the lower aft shrouds should be adequate. Do you ever use your running backs, or the higher inner forestay sheave? We found an oddball sail in the inventory, sort of a high-clewed 100% with 10m luff and a hollow leach. Doesn't fit the descriptions on the official sail plan. Halfway between G2 and G3? Non-standard spinnaker staysail? The hollow leach & high clew actually suggest a genoa staysail. But there's no deck hardware for inboard sheeting. :?:

We did get a nice looking storm jib. The main's fairly new -- what a funny little sail! No battens in it, tho, or anywhere on board. So I guess the previous owners just sailed it without battens?!?! That doesn't seem like it would work. Too much roach.

The G1 is slightly scary, tho not a huge as I feared. Ours is a little soft, but it might last a season or two. What I plan to do is to leave the boom as is -- tho with a better gooseneck fitting! -- since the mainsail has several years left in it. I'll make a proper 130-135% G2 for a roller furler. Then we can choose between the 150% G1 or a nylon 120% drifter sail, depending on conditions. I suspect the G1 will only last a year or so, after which we will retire it & rely on the G2 or the drifter. Guesswork, but at least we can sail the boat in standard trim before committing to major sailplan revisions.

Finally, there is a strange single cam cleat on the port side of the mast, near gooseneck height. It has a trip lever of some kind to release the cam. Any idea what that is for?
Bob McGovern

Re: Running backstays

Post by Bob McGovern »

EDIT: Okay, I figured out from previous owner photos that the 'running backstays' are really just lazyjack attachments.

I'm still curious about the two exit boxes for flying inner staysails, and whether you need backstays or checkstays to use them.