Main sail

pirata

Main sail

Post by pirata »

Hi all,
I have a original main sail with the original roller boom.
I think the main sail is a bit small for this boat and the roller boom is not practical.
I'm thinking to by a second hand boom with 3,3meters and put a bigger main to fit in this new boom.
You have experience or comments about the performance and helm forces?
Thanks,
Miguel
Bob McGovern

Re: Main sail

Post by Bob McGovern »

:lol: You are a man after my own heart, Miguel. See my initial post under 'Introductions,' where we discussed this possibility a little. Back-of-the-envelope calculations suggest a smaller headsail (like your roller-furling G2) and a larger main would not unbalance the helm at all. While no Ballad sailor has reported here on having lengthened the boom, I know of many IOR-era boat owners who have done this modification with satisfactory or even excellent results. Remember that a giant jib/tiny mainsail plan wasn't chosen because it makes the boat sail well; it was chosen because it boosted handicap rating.

After inspecting the mainsail and G1 that came with the boat, which are in decent shape, we have decided (tentatively) to keep the existing sailplan until we have had a chance to sail with it a year or two. When time comes to replace the sails, we can easily change to a longer boom. All you need is a drill and some rivets for the gooseneck.;)

But yes, I think your idea is feasible from a balance standpoint and eminently sensible from a sail-handling standpoint. If you do it, pls let us all know how it works!
pirata

Post by pirata »

I don't find the post "introductions". Can you send me the link?

I was thinking about using a mainsail from a Dufour Arpege. Fits in the ballad mast and in the 3,3m boom i'm about to buy and it's about 18m2.
Bob McGovern

Post by Bob McGovern »

http://www.balladklubben.se/balladexcha ... f=2&t=3393

Scroll down for the discussion of modified sailplans. I find a Code Zero & Gennaker/spinnaker combination covers the light air range of a 150% G1, while a full-hoist G2 would exhibit better shape and control in higher winds. The fact that many Ballad owners don't reef the main until about 30-35kts suggests it is undersized. Lots of really big headsails works fine with a racing crew of five; shorthanded cruisers tend to rely on the mainsail more.
sula

Post by sula »

hi all,I fitted a new sanders main , tri radial pentex , it was a foot longer in the foot. Remember that boat speed comes mainly from the genoa , The main
is more like a trim tab in winds over 12 knots. It helps pointing and balances the helm. if making a longr foot have the sail cut very flat, or you will have a very heavy helm, I dont thing a larger main and small jib will work as the boat will be unbalanced when beating. I now must reef the main at 16knots ,and play the traveller in the puffs.. On first sailing with the new main, I noticed less weather helm , this I put down to the pentex , as it stays in shape when the wind picks up, unlike dacron which becomes fuller!
Paul Kent
SULA
Portugal
sula

Post by sula »

hi bob,re large jib small main.Yes I agree this was to get a good rating onder the old IOR rule, but remember the rest of the boat was designed to go along with this sail plan, You alter this at your peril. to big a main and the boat will suffer weather helm. The beauty of the Ballad is when going for a short pleasure sail u needent bother with the main with no detriment to boat speed, and less work all round.

Paul Kent
Sula