#332 restoration (ongoing)

Here you can publish nice photos not tied to any specific subject. Other photos are preferrable published together with the text in the other subforums.
dahlke

Re: #332 restoration (ongoing)

Post by dahlke »

The next three days are going to be unusually warm here in Denmark. I'm going to take advantage of this and insulate the hull (the recommended glue requires over 18 degrees Celsius). I'm going to use two layers of foam for a total of 15 mm. The below images show the first layer. I'm very exited to see if this actually makes a difference come winter time :-)

Mads
Ballad #332 (aka. Obelix)
Restoration blog
Boat and restoration pictures
dahlke

Post by dahlke »

Getting closer and closer to being done with the interior :-)

Mads
Restoration blog
dahlke

Post by dahlke »

Yay! Obelix is finally back in the water :-)

There are still a long list of things to do: rebed the darn windows (again), mount (Alado) furler, take measurements for new sails, redo all the wiring etc etc. Still feels like a huge step in the right direction :-)

I've made a timelaps video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eg_EAbouaqY

Mads
Restoration blog
Bob McGovern

Post by Bob McGovern »

That was quick! Congratulations, Mads. Are your windows still leaking? I've forgotten what steps you took to seal them.
dahlke

Post by dahlke »

Bob McGovern wrote:That was quick! Congratulations, Mads. Are your windows still leaking? I've forgotten what steps you took to seal them.
Thanks, Bob :-) 3 of the 4 windows all failed within a few days of each other. I rebedded them in the fall using butyl tape. This time I'm using SikaFlex 291. It's gonna be a real pain to remove the windows next time they leak. Hopefully that won't happen anytime soon :-) I just need to do one window tomorrow and I'm all done. Fingers crossed there will also be time to mount the alado furler (http://www.alado.com/) tomorrow :-)

How is the weather in your neck of the woods? Getting warmer? Looking forward to seeing more pictures :-)
Mads
Restoration blog
Bob McGovern

Post by Bob McGovern »

Ahhahaha. "Getting warmer?" he asks. View of Fionn as of Monday, May 12th:
We had two feet of snow overnight.

Strange the butyl tape did not work. It is usually the best bet for this application -- although some tapes are much better than others. I wonder -- did you thru-bolt the metal frames, or rely on the original 'screws-into-aluminum-channel' arrangement? Butyl seals well, but it needs to be uniformly compressed, like a head gasket. I'm planning to drill thru the outer frame & thru-bolt the ports, just to ensure the sealant squeezes down. Sika 291 is good stuff, tho, if that's the direction you choose.
Sanlen

Post by Sanlen »

dahlke wrote:
Bob McGovern wrote:That was quick! Congratulations, Mads. Are your windows still leaking? I've forgotten what steps you took to seal them.
Thanks, Bob :-) 3 of the 4 windows all failed within a few days of each other. I rebedded them in the fall using butyl tape. This time I'm using SikaFlex 291. It's gonna be a real pain to remove the windows next time they leak. Hopefully that won't happen anytime soon :-) I just need to do one window tomorrow and I'm all done. Fingers crossed there will also be time to mount the alado furler (http://www.alado.com/) tomorrow :-)

How is the weather in your neck of the woods? Getting warmer? Looking forward to seeing more pictures :-)
I'm really impressed Mads, many congratulations from a finally warm Sweden :D

I would avoid the SIkaflex 291 on windows. I have tried that before and it works - for a while. When you sail in heavy seas and the hull flexes the Sikaflex will finally fail. Butyl is the way to go - I used butyl that I bought from a boatyard nearby on all windows, chainplates and of course all the deck/hull bolts. Butyl can get messy in warmer conditions but you can add a little Sikaflex 291 around the window frames to keep the butyl in place.
Best regards,
Jan
#547 Sanlen
Owner since 1993
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

Mads... what a neat video! At that speed it's no wonder you got the boat done in record time :lol:
I enjoyed the ride through the countryside and could almost feel the boat's anticipation as she neared the water.
Congratulations, she looks really good !!
TamTam

Post by TamTam »

Wow, congratulations Mads. I wish you a sunny and windy summer, maybe we will see us on the baltic sea this year.
Two weeks ago, we went from the river elbe to the baltic sea...
dahlke

Post by dahlke »

Refleks 66 (diesel stove/heater) installation coming along nicely :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpJaKXp-1-Y
Mads
Restoration blog