Original Documentation

If you have questions on how to use Albin Ballad Exchange, or tips or guides on how to use it better, please post in this subforum.
Jack Vrins

Original Documentation

Post by Jack Vrins »

Hello Balland Forum! I am a soon to be (currently under contract) new - and immensely proud- owner of a 1978 Albin Ballad Hull No.1372.
I am located in the San Francisco Bay Area - and to my knowledge there are only two Ballads located here. I have found fantastic information on this and other sites - but I am currently searching for (1) the supplemental handbook of engine operations, and (b) any diagrams of the electrical wiring. The Handbook online makes references to these documents - but have yet to find one online. Has anyone ever heard of the existence of these documents . . . looking forward to hearing from all of you - and can't tell you how excited I am to acquire this vessel!
Bob McGovern

Re: Original Documentation

Post by Bob McGovern »

Congratulations, Jack. The Ballad should be a perfect boat for the Bay and surrounding waters. Summer conditions quite like those it was designed for (North Sea, Baltic, Solent....) There are two manuals for the Volvo Pentas available free online, an owner/operator manual and a shop manual for more advanced work; do you have the MD6A, or a later engine?

I think (?) I downloaded the Owners Manual from here:

http://ebookbrowsee.net/volvo-penta-md6a-pdf-d128825505

A link to the Shop Manual is stashed someplace but I can't seem to find it. Maybe someone else has it handy?
Jack Vrins

Post by Jack Vrins »

Thank you very much for your response. This is great. I have a MD7A - but I assume the engines will be very similar.
This boat is virtually original - and the owners passed away. As a result I have to piece together the ins and outs of this boat.
As such any help is very much appreciated! If anyone has a reference to the electrical diagrams - my most critical documentation is complete.
Were there any other maintenance documents that originally were issued?
Thank you again - Wonderful introduction to this forum! :D
Bob McGovern

Post by Bob McGovern »

Found this:

http://marine.needmanual.com/volvo-pent ... anual.html

Can't vouch for its source; I've been hit with a number of malware infections via PDF manuals downloaded from web clearinghouses, so you may want to scan that puppy good....

Okay, it downloaded correctly (1.2MB) & shows no malware. Wiring diagram is on page 32 of manual -- p.36 of the PDF. Cheers!
Jack Vrins

Post by Jack Vrins »

Fantastic - downloaded it. Another piece of the puzzle solved!
Thank you again.
Jack Vrins

Post by Jack Vrins »

Update to the puzzle.
Fantastic news - the previous owner dropped off all original documentation . . . each and every document that accompanied to boat when it was delivered.
Treasure trove! Some of the info is already on other sites - but some of it is not. Is there a common place where we can upload documentation? If not am considering starting one.
Liese

Post by Liese »

Hi Jack,
I would really appreciate to get that information.
On behalf of the German Ballad Association I had contact to Rolf Magnusson and obtained already some drawings which I didn't found elsewhere on the internet.
I guess you might have visited www.ballad.de already. The information I have found is on the pages
http://www.ballad.de/downloads/ - Articles , Handbook
or
http://www.ballad.de/die-albin-ballad/zeichnungen/ - Drawings.

There might be others with the same target as well.
But at the moment this BalladExchange Forum is - acc. to my information - the only real international database.
Nevertheless I would appreciate, if you can provide us the drawings / documents.

Simply email to info@ballad.de or my personal email roaringforties att web dot de.

Best regards
Joerg
Ballad.de