Deck colour!

MarkRyan1981

Re: Deck colour!

Post by MarkRyan1981 »

Thanks Bob, I need to resist doing this job this winter :) I have a tendency to bite off far more than I can chew, and I must use her next year - I would also love to get her inside to do the job with a spray gun rather than a brush... not sure whether I will be able to make that happen though. Next winter will be the time I reckon.

Did you see my post over in accommodation? Wondered if anyone else had these cut outs...? http://www.balladklubben.se/balladexcha ... f=4&t=3569

Hope you are well!
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

Thanks Mark, I sent them an inquiry. Now, about those Yacht Legs ... :)
joern

Post by joern »

I'm sorry but i forgot to mention some things that could be important:

Before painting the non skrid area, i used a wire brush to clean it properly, and when painting the grey I mixed Hempels anti slip pearls into the paint. Because of this, my non skrid area has not been less non skrid after the painting ;-) Hope you understand the meaning of this, my english is not so good when it comes to Technical terms
MarkRyan1981

Post by MarkRyan1981 »

Sooo, the time has come! Deck painting time... probably... I may still cop out. I have a month out of the water to get it done any may take some days a week off to break the back of the job (if it doesn't break my bank balance first...). I'll put up a tent around the boat first....

The steps I have area:
  • A thorough clean
  • Degrease.
  • Fill all dinks with epoxy,
  • Sand with 180 grit (How do you sand non slip?? Good idea re the wire brush)
  • Fresh water wash off.
  • Remove what I can and mask up what I can't.
  • 2 coats of Interprotect (to seal the gel coat)
    Question: Do I need to sand after these coats? If so, what grit?
    Question: Does this primer blush? Will it need to be washed off once its gone off?
    Question: Do the two coats go on on the same day?
    Question: How long do I leave it before I put the undercoat on?
  • 2 coats of Perfection undercoat
    Question: Do I need to sand after these coats/between these coats? If so, what grit?
    Question: 24 hours between coats? What is the maximum overcoat time?
  • 2 coats of Perfection, last coat with non slip granuals or Kiwigrip.
    Question: Do I need to sand after these coats/between these coats? If so, what grit?
    Question: Do the three coats go on the same day? What is the overcoat time?
Job done...?
patentnick

Post by patentnick »

Many years back, I had to deal with some parts of the deck that had become mushy (delaminated) by injecting low-viscosity epoxy resin. It worked a treat but it also left me with an unsightly deck. So I sanded off the anti-slip (on the sidedecks, not the superstructure) and, following careful masking, I applied two coats of Hempel 2-part PU with their anti-slip granules mixed in. All in all, I was very happy with the result, although I should have probably added a matting agent since the effect was a little too glossy.

Several years ago, I decided that a touch-up was in order. This time, instead of using PU paint, I opted for KiwiGrip, a remarkable acrylic paint, that's very easy to apply, has incredible anti-slip properties, is easy to maintain and looks great. If interested, please take a look at the attached links.

http://www.pyiinc.com/KiwiGrip/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ba3crsEgC78

N.
Attachments
P2170438.jpg
P2170438.jpg (466.3 KiB) Viewed 29366 times
P2170437.jpg
P2170437.jpg (622.78 KiB) Viewed 29366 times
P2170436.jpg
P2170436.jpg (590.33 KiB) Viewed 29366 times
P2170434.jpg
P2170434.jpg (644.58 KiB) Viewed 29366 times
Last edited by patentnick on Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nicholas Koligiannis
Moments of Clarity
Hull No. 334
MarkRyan1981

Post by MarkRyan1981 »

Thanks for posting - ah, another interesting point you make there - I was a bit worried about the decks being too glossy. There is a matting additive for Internationals - would you suggest use it on all of the paint - including the slick, not non slip bits?
patentnick

Post by patentnick »

Hi Mark:

I'd use the matting agent only for the anti-slip parts. The rest looks nice in gloss--and is much easier to keep clean.
Don't worry, even the best paint loses its gloss eventually, especially in the Med's punishing climate.

N.
Nicholas Koligiannis
Moments of Clarity
Hull No. 334
MarkRyan1981

Post by MarkRyan1981 »

Humm, I looked deeper into the technical documents around the matting agent, they state:

"Polyurethane Matting Additive will provide a reduced mar-resistant finish and therefore should not be used on walkways
etc.

When used with Perfection, the addition of Matting Additive will reduce opacity, hiding power, of the product, so it is
important that the necessary number of coats of unmatted finish has been applied first.

As with all types of reduced-gloss coatings, the finish will not have the same stay-clean properties as a full-gloss
coating."

Grim! Praps I'll stick with glossy and buy some better sunglasses.... :lol:
MarkRyan1981

Post by MarkRyan1981 »

So washed the deck a couple of times, given it an acetone washing and I've started sanding, I am bit worried about the 'valleys' of the non slip though, the sander only appears to sand off the peaks!

Interprotect (so epoxy primer) is going on first, and that is some pretty sticky stuff, should I be worried or KBO?
patentnick

Post by patentnick »

Hi Mark:

You don't have to sand down the anti-slip totally flat. As long as the surface is really clean, epoxy primers--and paint, for that matter--will stick to it. You may use a very stiff (or wire) brush to slightly abrade the surface for extra peace of mind. The remaining ridge heights augment the anti-slip qualities of the final paint+granules--and I think that it's also more pleasing to the eye.

I just discovered some pre-KiwiGrip photos, when I had just applied 2-part PU paint+granules. You'll notice that the areas around the hatch and the side decks were sanded down almost completely whereas on the superstructure they weren't. It works either way.

N.
DSCN2475.JPG
DSCN2475.JPG (835.46 KiB) Viewed 29326 times
DSCN2471.JPG
DSCN2471.JPG (762.26 KiB) Viewed 29326 times
Nicholas Koligiannis
Moments of Clarity
Hull No. 334