Tiller

weemistermac

Tiller

Post by weemistermac »

I am a sculptor/carver by trade and am toying with the idea of creating a new tiller for my Ballad. But I get the feeling my existing tiller isn't original and I'm on the beg for photos of everyone else's! Mine is incredibly long (it pushes other crew members out of the cockpit on a tack! :D ) and is as straight as a stair rod.

I'd quite like to use a single piece of hardwood so that I can carve it although I'm aware laminated strips are stronger when incorporating a curve. So I'd be interested to see what you all have and to hear your thoughts. Many thanks.
Stuart. NE Scotland.
"Schönbrunn"
Ballad hull No. 170
prjacobs

Re: Tiller

Post by prjacobs »

I had to make a new tiler. The old one was not the original, but it fit well so I copied the shape with the new one. My preference is for a laminated one as it is stronger than a one-piece tiller with a curve in it, unless you can find a naturally curved piece to work with. Mine is a bit on the long side too, but it works well.
Attachments
tiller.png
tiller.png (353.26 KiB) Viewed 32200 times
weemistermac

Post by weemistermac »

That's very smart, Peter. Like I say, I can see the benefits of laminating for strength, but I can't help but wonder, if it gets to the point where so much strain is being put into it that a hardwood tiller would snap, it's maybe past time to put in a reef!!?? :lol:

When you say your previous tiller also wasn't original, do you happen to know what an original one looked like? Was it curved or straight, do you think? One piece or laminated? I'm still in two minds (at least).
Stuart. NE Scotland.
"Schönbrunn"
Ballad hull No. 170
ibbo

Post by ibbo »

summertime tiller.jpg
summertime tiller.jpg (189.35 KiB) Viewed 32193 times

This is how I would like my tiller, the curve means you don't trap everyones legs when manouvering. Mine is straight, and takes up so much room.
Sool tiller.jpg
Sool tiller.jpg (159.31 KiB) Viewed 32193 times
weemistermac

Post by weemistermac »

ibbo wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:05 am This is how I would like my tiller, the curve means you don't trap everyones legs when manouvering. Mine is straight, and takes up so much room.
Yours looks very similar to mine, which makes me think it might be the original (or a copy of).
Stuart. NE Scotland.
"Schönbrunn"
Ballad hull No. 170
ibbo

Post by ibbo »

It's a problem for the crew when tacking, as they have to kneel on the seats to winch and tail. I have also come into my berth to find I can't hit the gap because someones leg is stopping the tiller moving. Did cause a bit of a moment.
It's a 2 owner boat, and many things are original, so I would expect the tiller is too.

I do like the idea of a curved one.
weemistermac

Post by weemistermac »

Yes. It's for all those reasons that I am considering changing mine. I'll hopefully get a chance to see others' on here.
Stuart. NE Scotland.
"Schönbrunn"
Ballad hull No. 170
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

weemistermac wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 5:02 pm That's very smart, Peter. Like I say, I can see the benefits of laminating for strength, but I can't help but wonder, if it gets to the point where so much strain is being put into it that a hardwood tiller would snap, it's maybe past time to put in a reef!!?? :lol:

When you say your previous tiller also wasn't original, do you happen to know what an original one looked like? Was it curved or straight, do you think? One piece or laminated? I'm still in two minds (at least).
I never did see the original. It's replacement had been smashed in two when the mast was dropped from quite a height, enough to put a horse shoe-shaped divot in the stern rail and a bend in the mast 8' from the top. I glued it back together and made a pattern from it. It's a nice solid piece of African mahogany, so it gets used to make plugs to cover screw holes etc. If you click on the link below (Albin Ballad Restoration Photo Album) there are pictures of the laminating process.
On another note, I'd like to make a bracket under the tiller so I can put the tiller up vertically and have a short bracket horizontally that the tiller pilot attaches to, leaving more room in the cockpit when under way.
weemistermac

Post by weemistermac »

prjacobs wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:00 pm On another note, I'd like to make a bracket under the tiller so I can put the tiller up vertically and have a short bracket horizontally that the tiller pilot attaches to, leaving more room in the cockpit when under way.
Hmm. I think I see what you mean. Nice idea. Keep me posted!
Stuart. NE Scotland.
"Schönbrunn"
Ballad hull No. 170