Florida Ballad

Due to increased amount of spamming attempts all registrations now have to be accepted by the board administrator. After filling in the "register" form, mail the administrator admin<at>balladklubben.se and motivate why you want to join.
Mark

Florida Ballad

Post by Mark »

I am new to the Ballad Exchange and would like to contact any Ballad owners in the Central Florida (Tampa or Port Canaveral) area. I purchased a 1978 Ballad hull #1265 about a year ago, and I'm currently in year 2 of a 3 year refit (it's extensive). I checked out the mast step, and it looks good, wire brushing to clean metal, coating it with Cosmoline and reinstalling the floor. I have designed an anchor "system" with bow roller, rode locker, Mantus 35 lb. anchor and windlass. Lots of gel coat, sanding, more sanding and polishing....

Looking forward to hearing from fellow Ballad owners.

Mark Tripp
SV Shenanigans
prjacobs

Re: Florida Ballad

Post by prjacobs »

Hi Mark,
Welcome to the forum. I did a 2 year restoration on mine (#1085) and launched in late 2013. I've been enjoying her ever since. Love the boat, and the way she sails. Good luck on your rebuild.
Cheers,
MarkRyan1981

Post by MarkRyan1981 »

Hello Mark,

Welcome! You won't look back. Cracking boats.

Best regards,

Mark
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks Peter and Mark for the welcome!
I enjoyed going through your web sites and learned a lot from your experience and documentation.
I have a question regarding insulation. Have you insulated the inside of your boats? I made the decition to insulate to help with the subtropical humidity and condensation. I'm looking at Armacell sheet, 1/2 inch (12mm) thick, any thoughts?

Regards,
Mark T
prjacobs

Post by prjacobs »

Hi Mark T,
I used an indoor/outdoor carpet cut to fit and glued in. This is the third boat I've done this way and it works for me here in the Pacific North 'Wet'.
It gives a nice clean finish, and is mildew resistant.
Attachments
SanJuan24.JPG
SanJuan24.JPG (18.48 KiB) Viewed 21542 times
AlbinVega27.JPG
AlbinVega27.JPG (30.6 KiB) Viewed 21542 times
Ballad2.JPG
Ballad2.JPG (18.94 KiB) Viewed 21542 times
Ballad1.JPG
Ballad1.JPG (19.23 KiB) Viewed 21542 times
Mark

Post by Mark »

Thanks Peter for the info and pics, your interior looks very clean and well done. I could only hope to get mine looking that nice! I sailed out of Port Canaveral this weekend on a friends boat and he had outdoor carpeting in his interior. I'm headed to the Miami Boat Show tomorrow and I'll check out some more options.
Thanks for responding to my posts, it really helps.

If any Ballad owners are planning on visiting Central Florida, please contact me, I'd love to show you my boat project and get some insight.

Mark T.