Crackling deck

Cyclooctatetraene

Crackling deck

Post by Cyclooctatetraene » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:37 pm

Hey everyone,

I am new to the ballad exchange and have been reading the forums for a little while. I have owned my ballad (1974, not sure what number right now) for about 1 1/2 years and we have enjoyed sailing and modifying her quite a bit! (Most recent modification was a fridge, following the waterheater and the diesel heater!)

An issue that has come up is our deck that is beginning to make more and more crackling sounds in various locations, it is the least noticeable on top of the coach roof and the strongest on the sides of the deck and around the chain locker. As far as I know the crackling comes from the fact that the laminates have lost their adhesion to the foam, so what is the best fix for this issue?

-I have heard about injecting more foam (I am not a huge fan of that given the expansion forces if one injects too much)

-I have heard about drying out the deck followed by injecting epoxy (what epoxy to use? Normal west systems? Penetrating epoxy? what works and how much is needed?)

-Are there other fixes that I have not considered but should?

Since any of these repairs will involve drilling holes in the deck, I want to combine this with painting the deck with 2k polyurethane paint (awlgrip or something similar) and as we are just wrapping up a CopperCoat job I am in no mood to tackle this project this year.

However, I would love getting this planned and would enjoy some input!

Best,

Marius

Torbennoer

Re: Crackling deck

Post by Torbennoer » Tue Feb 19, 2019 4:28 pm